Wednesday 10 May 2017

Term 3 Writing - Blogs

REMEMBER: We will do a WRITING exam (Crit C 33%) on Friday 19th May. On this, you will have two options: EITHER a brochure OR a blog. Be ready to answer both of them in case you like one topic more than another one.
Features/ Characteristics of a blog
•A title, perhaps quirky, witty – like an article title
•A mixture of formal/informal language
• First person narration
•Reference to frequency of blogging – “As we saw in yesterday´s post/ As you regualr readers know …”
Personal thoughts/opinions/feelings about a stimulus/topic
•Invitation for your reader’s to comment on your post
•Reference to reader/engage reader - through direct address, a lively and interesting style


•A blog is a 'public statement‘ so ideas need to be organised to show some evident + consistent purpose - use paragraphing and cohesive devices to structure your ideas appropriately

Blogs to read

Now: Using the examples I have given you / looking through the examples linked above / any others you might find... look up fifteen key phrases and structures you could use in your own blog writing...



Advanced Blogging Structures...


How to start?
·         For many people,…
·         I’ve been waiting to write this for some time…
·         So, if you haven’t heard about the recent controversy of …
·         So, I recently went to …
·         I know I’ve posted about … before, but …
·         From … to …, our … have
·         There’s a story currently…
·         Nowadays, I find myself …
·         So, this post is going to …

Expressions/ Idiomatic vocabulary
·         Well, it goes without saying that …
·         If I could put my finger on one thing in particular, it would be …
·         Shame it doesn’t work like that.
·         It goes hand in hand with …
·         Rhetorical questions and answers: Who knows? I don´t. …, right? But when did … become …?
·         Yes/No, …
·         A distraction that I, for one, can’t wait to get rid of.
·         How dare he/ she/ they!
·         I have never eye-rolled this much…
·         Let’s face it …
·         Boo them!/ Cheer them!
·         Needless to say …
·         Anyway, each to their own.
·         To become a dartboard - to become a target
·         To go through the roof - to increase

Introducing yourself in the text/ expressing opinions
·         As a teenager
·         As a black woman…
·         How much I care…
·         But that’s just me.
·         I never thought I’d find myself saying this but …
·         I must say that I agree/disagree with …
·         If I could put my finger on one thing in particular, it would be …
·         What I do know is …
·         Aghh, I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound like …
·         So, I’m here to …
·         As much as I think that …, I also think that …
·         I love…
·         I reckon… (informal for I think)
·         I guess there is/are …
·         I was pretty freaking amazed…
·         Oddly, while…
·         Aside from the fact that I’m …, I also think …
·         Shock horror, I’m not into …

Speaking directly to your reader
·         Ha! Don’t be ridiculous!
·         Don’t try and kid yourself!
·         Don’t be silly enough to…
·         Get off your high horse!
·         Get off your soap box!
·         Make a difference!
·         By the way, …

How to end?
·         If you want to share/ offer your opinion and join in with this conversation, please leave a comment below.
·         I’d love to know your thoughts so leave a comment below!

·         If you agree with me, please share my post.

Idioms are an excellent way to show off in informal writing. Try to learn some of the ones below and use them in your blog.

CAE Idioms

Body Idioms

No comments:

Post a Comment